Friday, October 22, 2010

Ugh

Good evening Off Hesperusians,

I am spent. Physically, emotionally, mentally. I feel like I haven't read a poem in five years. In fact, I feel like I haven't read anything in five years. I am so tired and decrepit that it's difficult to even type this measly little post because my nails are way too long and wild. That's right, folks. My children are transforming me into Howard Hughes. Or at least a very tired Howard Hughes. I started this blog, in part, to have a safe, warm intellectual nook of my own. Something that was just mine, apart from the demanding and sometimes gruelings days as a mother to my two young children. But I am afraid folks that these adorable children have finally stood on top of my lifeless body and declared victory.

Okay, I'm being dramatic. But it has been a particularly hard week. It has been filled with unholy things. Fluids and infections, runny tummies (for everyone!), endless whining, crying and an odd outbreak of fruit flies.

So I write to you to say I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I am so damn lame. I'm not even going to pretend that I've read or written anything edifying lately. I would though appreciate your thoughts on the whole Juan Williams debacle. The more I thought about it, I never did understand his arrangement with Fox and NPR. It did always seems odd to me. But I liked him as a commentator. I heard an NPR story on the whole matter and they made him sound like a very occasional guest commentator, but he was much more than that. He was an NPR all star, no?

The whole thing is really odd. It sounds like it was a conflict that was waiting to happen, what with his dual roles in very different news organizations. But I personally wasn't that offended by what he said. It sounded like he was expressing a personal feeling but wasn't purposely trying to be incendiary like a Bill O'Reilly on the View. And it is confusing. He isn't a straight reporter, he is an analyst and a commentator mostly. Can you never insert yourself if you're constantly giving your take on things?

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Casey, do not despair. In fact, you should feel good about the fact that until you mentioned the whole Juan Williams business, I had completely missed the story altogether. And you think I'm somewhat tuned to news...I'm totally bowing my head in shame!

    I have been reading very little fiction as of late, and having some trouble keeping up with my New Yorkers, even. I'm looking for a return to the reading life soon.

    Writing: I'm writing for Yahoo!'s Year In Review, answering the top 10 burning questions on the web. Sometimes I wonder how I got lucky in wrapping my day job with my side gig and everything so hopefully I can wrangle reading back into the fray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, Eugenia. I'm not Condemned in Dallas. Okay, some weeks I am. I'm with you. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. And that bright, sun shiney light is the great city of Los Angeles. Our great friend Sudeep is getting married in less than a week and we're headed out on Thursday to celebrate with him and his bride. If anyone has any must-dos in L.A. please let me know. I've never been there so any insider's tips would be great.

    Sudeep, I wish I knew some great poem about love or marriage, but right now my kids are watching Penguins of Madagascar and it's short circuiting the high brow part of my brain.

    Eugenia, what ARE the ten burning questions on the web. I've GOT to know. Here are my recent burning questions:

    1) What really causes fruit flies? I know we learned about some monk in the 13th century or something who did genetic experiments on fruit flies when we were in 9th grade but I don't remember anything beyond that.

    2) If Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. were alive now how would they react to the tea party movement? I went to a debate between my current state rep (a democrat) and his main opposition (a republican with tea party backing) and shockingly there were hooligans there who were hell bent on being rude and making a scene. If you stayed quiet somehow you were complicit but if you raised your voice, you were in effect sinking to their level. In all honesty, they brought to mind what the Nazis must have been like when they were starting out in an angry and embittered Germany. It was a dilemma because what they were doing was really wrong and destructive.

    3)Who will win Dancing with the Stars? I don't really care, but I just love that show. My vote is for Kyle Massey!

    4)And more importantly, is there anyone out there who can fill the oceanic void Oprah will leave behind?

    5) Will Obama bench Joe Biden for Hilary Clinton in 2012???

    6) Last question, I promise! Do ANY of those anti-aging creams do ANYTHING? Or is it all a load of bull?

    Are these any of the questions, E???

    ReplyDelete